Scottish Canals Navigation and Safety Q&A

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee 04/11/19

QuestionAnswer
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union
Canal were only dug out to 15m.
Are there any plans to
lengthen these as many
boats cannot fit?
Have you had any
further thoughts on
this?
2/9/19 – Dredging from Linlithgow.
St Michaels to Linlithgow basin to Preston road and ending at Causewayend bridge completed. Evac points have been strimmed. Not all evac points were dredged just the ones on the long straights. Plant now in Firhill and will be working all winter. Land and water have been contracted to continue reprofiling. They set up this week with plans to complete by Christmas.
Q. What are the
current plans for
dredging?
We previously were
told there would be a map with dredging marked.
1/7/19 – Dredging in Caledonian/Crinan during summer, High spots on Union will be dredged over the winter.
Sea lock to be dredged at back of summer due to environmental constraints.
Trash cleaning ongoing westwards from Auchinstarry during summer.
No date for consultation yet.
2/9/19 – Caledonian/Crinan now planned for start of the season
In relation to sealock dredging SC are consulting with the salmon fishery and will provide further updates at next meeting.
Trash clearing is now complete
Consultation expected by end Sep/early Oct.
4/11/19 – Tender to be issued for river carron dredging, should budget be available works will be undertaken in early 2020
Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?
Boaters at Causewayend advise that this work would be done when funds become available. With the pier being reinstated there are concerns about lack of disabled access on and to the landing stage. There is also concerns over the lighting.
A. Gravel put down with Wacker plate does not last really needs tarmac.
Bistro owns the path. There are on going discussions but nothing can happen with without agreement from landowners.
1/7/19 – Option for a Gravel path being investigated but drainage solution is the key. Discussions ongoing.
Solar lighting fitted some time ago disappeared but new solar lighting triggered by trip switches has now been installed.
2/9/19 – Crusher run to be put down over the winter. Possibility of lighting on a switch and timer so Boaters can activate and then the lights will automatically turn off.
4/11/19 – Will relay gravel surface over the winter to improve access safety. Power supply for improved lighting being looked in to.
Q. There has been a suggestion that LUCS and the Bistro are intending to ‘book’ the landing stage for their cruises. Can you comment please
Additional suggestion – Can we get a date and time when the landing stage will be reserved put on the board so it is clear to boaters when they can use the landing stage.
1/7/19 – No agreement for LUCS to book jetty, they can drop off and then moor up inside basin. If jetty is in use. LUCS can moor inside basin and they are aware of restrictions.
Disabled access will only be through the basin and use footpath.
2/9/19 – Scott to discuss this solution with the Bistro and Lucs.
4/11/19 – Scott currently liasing with Bistro and Lucs – update to follow at next meeting
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?Scott @ SC is looking at the marking of visitor’s moorings. Some ideas have been discussed and Scott is going to produce 3 options which will then be put to the boaters for opinion via the LCA.
1/7/19 – No budget available for general signage improvements but H&S & Visitor signs will be provided.
List of all moorings has been prepared, signs will be provided when budget is available
2/9/19 – Scott to provide 3 options by the end of September.
4/11/19 – Results of the survey show painted strip as the winner. White would be a good colour as it is reflective if someone was reaching a mooring at dusk. a dark colour is unlikely to show.
Q. Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina. 2/9/19 – A rubbing straight will be fitted by the start of the season.
Q. As discussed with Mark please can we explore the option of counter leaver pontoon/step at Applecross4/11/19 – Engineering to provide a technical spec for the pontoon/step required and provide costs. will update.
Q. As discussed with Tommy please can we look at the possibility of getting water to the bollards at the bottom of Jubilee lock (west)4/11/19 – will investigate to see what the options are within the area. If a supply is within this area, will cost up the job.
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry? A. Scottish canals are taking responsibility for this. The issue is larger than just the baffle. We keep LCA informed.
1/7/19 – SC are now responsible for the ventilation system rather than the tenant. Options for a replacement baffle are being investigated.
2/9/19 – Extraction system to be replaced. Quotes are currently being received. Will update at next meeting.
4/11/19 – Property department are currently reviewing quotes. No update available at the moment but SC realise the priority this requires.
Q. Has the canal depth been recently gauged to allow best targeting of dredging?A. Depth gauging will take place in Feb 2019.
19/2/19 – Tug with sounder will be going through once the bridges re-open and before flotilla.
15/4/19 – Still planned. Tug will have sonar and device trailing to pick up high points. Trailing device will be the width of a boat.
1/7/19 – Survey from Grangemouth to Hillhead provided info on hotspots. The vessel with 1.6m draft had difficulty with weed/debris but it identified hotspots and debris.
Debris removal up to Twechar, will be continued when staff available.
Hillhead to Bowling will be gauged when a new tug has been commissioned in about 8 weeks.
Union will be gauged when resources are available.
2/9/19 – Presentation and information note on this topic will be sent over.
4/11/19 – Remaining gauging works not yet undertaken – scheduled to be undertaken in early 2020, weather and staff availability permitting.
Q. Would it be possible to have more consultation about winter shut downs so we might be able to avoid organised events being restricted? Bowling – Works on car park becoming a compound. Refurb of Customs house. Arches into a restaurant. End of March to End Aug.
Re-engineering of dredging’s to back fill beach to make new sea wall. Starts in 6 weeks for3 years + – outside boating area.
Sustrans funded project to connect current cycle way to old rail bridge over Bowling arches.
19/4/19 – Repairs to lock 31-32 which will not affect navigation.
Garscube bridge will be built in October.
2/9/19 – Claypits Local Nature Reserve – Monday 9th September till Sunday 15th September 19 – Work starts on Gascube Bridge which will reduce the number of boats that can pass through the channel (please contact boat movements 07810794467 if you plan to travel through in these dates)
Monday 16th September 19 until March 2020 – Channel closure will disrupt navigation along the Glasgow branch between Firhill and Applecross. Sea to sea navigation will be unaffected. Boaters located South of the closure have been offered alternative mooring should they wish.
Stockingfield Bridge – works expected to begin this winter and will impact navigation at some point.
Falkirk Wheel winter maintenance – November to Mid December.
Wilcox homes pilling – November to January this impacts the farm to st Michaels and may cause some restriction.
Q. When is next working group meeting going to be held regarding self-lock operations?4/11/19 – Tommy Thomson is organising
Thomas.thomson@scottishcanals.co.uk
 
Further User Operational training has been carried out during Sept/Oct with the Reunion staff at Edinburgh Quay. Further training to be arranged with the boat owners over the winter period.
Q. Maryhill to Cadder only has one pontoon at Bishopbriggs. Are there any plans for evac points in that area? 2/9/19 – it may be possible to do something at Stockingfield.
4/11/19 – No plans at the moment. can be discussed further at next meeting
Q. is there some information that could be put on the evac point signage to be given to 999 as a reference point?2/9/19 – Looking at the possibility of using the what 3 words app which is currently being trailed by EMS.
Also looking at the possibility of using this as an additional way to report a nav issue that would pick up the location. May be looking to get some boaters to test it in the future.
4/11/19 – No plans at the moment. can be discussed further at next meeting
Q. LCA submitted a proposal for boaters to help with weed control.2/9/19 – With weeding fleet being increased this issue becomes null and void. A general weeding question is to be opened on this tracker to allow for constant monitoring and any weed related question to be raised.
Q. Wave Bridge – Edinburgh Council. LCA has spoken with Edinburgh council and advised that we would like to be kept in consultation on the project and want to confirm that the bride will be at the minimum air draft or above of the rest on the system and as plans progress, we need to ensure minimum disruption to navigation. Edinburgh council has advised they have been in discussions with SC. Can you advise on your thoughts and discussions so far in relation to this project 4/11/19 – This will be third party works and ECC will require to comply with our regulations.
 
Technical spec for bridge and connective walkway agreed and will not restrict Union Canal air draft.
Q. Please can you advise on any current conversations you have had regarding the proposed pontoons by Tartan leisure near the wave bridge?
LCA thinks this is a good idea but that pontoons are not the most suitable option. We have suggestions we would like to discuss further with Tartan Leisure and SC.
4/11/19 – We are hoping to gain some moorings at this location through planning gain.  The design of which has not been agreed.  It is expected that any design would include a jetty rather than a pontoon given the width of the Canal.
Q. LCA submitted a
proposal for boaters to
help with weed control.
1/7/19 – Feedback required from Tommy for details of trial areas and possible payments to boaters
Q. Slippy pontoons – Is there a maintenance schedule. 2/9/19 – there are plans to upgrade all pontoons to GRP this will depend on suitability for changing to GRP and take time and budget, Priority will be given to lock 16 and Ratho as they have been reported as particularly bad. In the meantime both areas will be pressure washed as a matter of urgency.
4/11/19 – Lock 16 ongoing, Ratho substructure being investigated to accomodate GRP, Auchinstarry linear linear moorings to follow.
Q. Auchinstarry compound looking particularly untidy with lots of scrap metal and two old vehicles. Space could be better utilised.2/9/19 – one vehicle is paying rent, the other will be investigated. Agreed that the compound needs a general tidy up.
4/11/19 – Tommy Thomson arranging this over the winter shut down
Q. Report of overhanging trees that will eventually impact navigation between bridge 5a and unmarked bridge at Westerhailes.2/9/19 – This is planned for the winter.
Q. Lock 2 has an unusable riser. Can we fix this please2/9/19 – It has already been inspected and will be fixed this side of Christmas.
4/11/19 – Scheduled to be repaired during November stoppage works
Q. Possible vermin issue at Lock 16 Please can you investigate? 2/9/19 – Tommy will take a look and report back.
4/11/19 – Servest facilities management are dealing with this issue

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee 02/09/19

QuestionAnswer
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union
Canal were only dug out to 15m.
Are there any plans to
lengthen these as many
boats cannot fit?
Have you had any
further thoughts on
this?
2/9/19 – Dredging from Linlithgow.
St Michaels to Linlithgow basin to Preston road and ending at Causewayend bridge completed. Evac points have been strimmed. Not all evac points were dredged just the ones on the long straights. Plant now in Firhill and will be working all winter. Land and water have been contracted to continue reprofiling. They set up this week with plans to complete by Christmas.
Q. What are the
current plans for
dredging?
We previously were
told there would be a map with dredging marked.
1/7/19 – Dredging in Caledonian/Crinan during summer, High spots on Union will be dredged over the winter.
Sea lock to be dredged at back of summer due to environmental constraints.
Trash cleaning ongoing westwards from Auchinstarry during summer.
No date for consultation yet.
2/9/19 – Caledonian/Crinan now planned for start of the season
In relation to sealock dredging SC are consulting with the salmon fishery and will provide further updates at next meeting.
Trash clearing is now complete
Consultation expected by end Sep/early Oct.

Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?
Boaters at Causewayend advise that this work would be done when funds become available. With the pier being reinstated there are concerns about lack of disabled access on and to the landing stage. There is also concerns over the lighting.
A. Gravel put down with Wacker plate does not last really needs tarmac.
Bistro owns the path. There are on going discussions but nothing can happen with without agreement from landowners.
1/7/19 – Option for a Gravel path being investigated but drainage solution is the key. Discussions ongoing.
Solar lighting fitted some time ago disappeared but new solar lighting triggered by trip switches has now been installed.
2/9/19 – Crusher run to be put down over the winter. Possibility of lighting on a switch and timer so Boaters can activate and then the lights will automatically turn off.
Q. There has been a suggestion that LUCS and the Bistro are intending to ‘book’ the landing stage for their cruises. Can you comment please
Additional suggestion – Can we get a date and time when the landing stage will be reserved put on the board so it is clear to boaters when they can use the landing stage.
1/7/19 – No agreement for LUCS to book jetty, they can drop off and then moor up inside basin. If jetty is in use. LUCS can moor inside basin and they are aware of restrictions.
Disabled access will only be through the basin and use footpath.
2/9/19 – Scott to discuss this solution with the Bistro and Lucs.
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?Scott @ SC is looking at the marking of visitor’s moorings. Some ideas have been discussed and Scott is going to produce 3 options which will then be put to the boaters for opinion via the LCA.
1/7/19 – No budget available for general signage improvements but H&S & Visitor signs will be provided.
List of all moorings has been prepared, signs will be provided when budget is available
2/9/19 – Scott to provide 3 options by the end of September.
Q. Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina. 2/9/19 – A rubbing straight will be fitted by the start of the season.
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?2/9/19 – SC advised a communication was sent about the short restriction needed for re-calibration and there is no additional work to be done above and beyond general annual maintenance.
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it
CS – Suggest talking to Historic Scotland about removing the bridge and making a feature of it.
A. Structure corrosion and issues with the counter balance. Options being discussed include propping the bridge open and reducing the load on the bridge by changing the road base to aluminium.
26/10/18 – Historic environment Scotland meeting has been held. Awaiting a response. Further discussions and meetings ongoing.
Once a conclusion has been agreed there will be a comms to let people know.
19/2/19 – Repairs are fully funded by Sustrans. Should be fully repaired by August.
15/4/19 – Work Started
1/7/19 – Works should be complete and operational by the end of summer, same operating regime as before.
2/9/19 – work completed.
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry? A. Scottish canals are taking responsibility for this. The issue is larger than just the baffle. We keep LCA informed.
1/7/19 – SC are now responsible for the ventilation system rather than the tenant. Options for a replacement baffle are being investigated.
2/9/19 – Extraction system to be replaced. Quotes are currently being received. Will update at next meeting.
Q. Has the canal depth been recently gauged to allow best targeting of dredging?A. Depth gauging will take place in Feb 2019.
19/2/19 – Tug with sounder will be going through once the bridges re-open and before flotilla.
15/4/19 – Still planned. Tug will have sonar and device trailing to pick up high points. Trailing device will be the width of a boat.
1/7/19 – Survey from Grangemouth to Hillhead provided info on hotspots. The vessel with 1.6m draft had difficulty with weed/debris but it identified hotspots and debris.
Debris removal up to Twechar, will be continued when staff available.
Hillhead to Bowling will be gauged when a new tug has been commissioned in about 8 weeks.
Union will be gauged when resources are available.
2/9/19 – Presentation and information note on this topic will be sent over.
Q. Would it be possible to have more consultation about winter shut downs so we might be able to avoid organised events being restricted? Bowling – Works on car park becoming a compound. Refurb of Customs house. Arches into a restaurant. End of March to End Aug.
Re-engineering of dredging’s to back fill beach to make new sea wall. Starts in 6 weeks for3 years + – outside boating area.
Sustrans funded project to connect current cycle way to old rail bridge over Bowling arches.
19/4/19 – Repairs to lock 31-32 which will not affect navigation.
Garscube bridge will be built in October.
2/9/19 – Claypits Local Nature Reserve – Monday 9th September till Sunday 15th September 19 – Work starts on Gascube Bridge which will reduce the number of boats that can pass through the channel (please contact boat movements 07810794467 if you plan to travel through in these dates)
Monday 16th September 19 until March 2020 – Channel closure will disrupt navigation along the Glasgow branch between Firhill and Applecross. Sea to sea navigation will be unaffected. Boaters located South of the closure have been offered alternative mooring should they wish.
Stockingfield Bridge – works expected to begin this winter and will impact navigation at some point.
Falkirk Wheel winter maintenance – November to Mid December.
Wilcox homes pilling – November to January this impacts the farm to st Michaels and may cause some restriction.
Q. When is next working group meeting going to be held regarding self-lock operations?2/9/19 – Next meeting is 18/10/19
Q. Maryhill to Cadder only has one pontoon at Bishopbriggs. Are there any plans for evac points in that area? 2/9/19 – it may be possible to do something at Stockingfield.
Q. is there some information that could be put on the evac point signage to be given to 999 as a reference point?2/9/19 – Looking at the possibility of using the what 3 words app which is currently being trailed by EMS.
Also looking at the possibility of using this as an additional way to report a nav issue that would pick up the location. May be looking to get some boaters to test it in the future.
Q. Discussion on areas that trucksters can access to be discussed with Tommy at next meeting.2/9/19 – With weeding fleet being increased this issue becomes null and void. A general weeding question is to be opened on this tracker to allow for constant monitoring and any weed related question to be raised.
Q. LCA submitted a proposal for boaters to help with weed control.2/9/19 – With weeding fleet being increased this issue becomes null and void. A general weeding question is to be opened on this tracker to allow for constant monitoring and any weed related question to be raised.
Q. What is the situation with regard to boat access to and mooring in Port Dundas?2/9/19 – No plans; however, conversations are ongoing with Glasgow council. Boats can access this area with advanced (extended) notice.
Q. What can be done to reduce the impact of the Falkirk Wheel winter maintenance on the Flotilla of Lights event on the 23rd November?2/9/19 – Any boats wishing to go before the shut down and return after will be able to stay on the union during the shutdown.
Richard Miller is also investigating if it would be possible to move boats the week before and week after. This is not guaranteed.
Q. LCA submitted a
proposal for boaters to
help with weed control.
1/7/19 – Feedback required from Tommy for details of trial areas and possible payments to boaters
Q. Slippy pontoons – Is there a maintenance schedule. 2/9/19 – there are plans to upgrade all pontoons to GRP this will depend on suitability for changing to GRP and take time and budget, Priority will be given to lock 16 and Ratho as they have been reported as particularly bad. In the meantime both areas will be pressure washed as a matter of urgency.
Q. Auchinstarry compound looking particularly untidy with lots of scrap metal and two old vehicles. Space could be better utilised.2/9/19 – one vehicle is paying rent, the other will be investigated. Agreed that the compound needs a general tidy up.
Q. Report of overhanging trees that will eventually impact navigation between bridge 5a and unmarked bridge at Westerhailes.2/9/19 – This is planned for the winter.
Q. Lock 2 has an unusable riser. Can we fix this please2/9/19 – It has already been inspected and will be fixed this side of Christmas.
Q. There has been reports of security issues including people jumping on and off boats 2/9/19 – Please make sure all incidences are reported to the police and you get an incident number. The more official reports the easier it is to allocate budget for security.
Q. Possible vermin issue at Lock 16 Please can you investigate?2/9/19 – Tommy will take a look and report back.

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee 01/07/19

QuestionAnswer
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union
Canal were only dug out to 15m.
Are there any plans to
lengthen these as many
boats cannot fit?
Have you had any
further thoughts on
this?
A. Dredging and expanding evacuation points from Bridge 12 towards Linlithgow. Dredging’s going on offside starting November through to approximately March

we will be carrying out dredging on the F&C his winter.


19/2/19 – In Progress


15/4/19 – Still in Progress

1/7/19 – Dredging to start at Linlithgow heading Eastwards next Monday picking up high
points and extending emergency points as they come to them.
Dredging the evacuation points West of Linlithgow is dependent on whether there is any budget left once the new moorings have been cleared.
Q. What are the
current plans for
dredging?
We previously were
told there would be a map with dredging marked.
A. Will investigate as to a map; however, it may be more appropriate for a stoppages list including dredging instead of a map. Some funding has become available for dredging in front of the new sea lock, Linlithgow and Edinburgh Quay. April-May there will also be Spot dredging on the F+C
15/4/19 – List will be part of the consultation to be released in the near future. Dredging in Linlithgow and Edinburgh Quay complete F+C and Sealock still planned.
1/7/19 – Dredging in Caledonian/Crinan during summer,High spots on Union will be dredged over the winter. Sea lock to be dredged at back of summer due to environmental constraints.
Trash cleaning ongoing westwards from Auchinstarry during summer.
No date for consultation yet.
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at
Causewayend?
A. Jetty in progress due completion by start of May 

1/7/19 – Jetty now complete and operational, not suitable for disabled.

Q.There has been
discussions to put gravel
down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro
and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?

Boaters at Causewayend advise that this work would be done when funds become available. With the pier being reinstated there are concerns about lack of disabled access on and to the landing stage. There is also concerns over the lighting.

A. Gravel put down with Wacker plate does not last really needs tarmac.

Bistro owns the path. There are on going discussions but nothing can happen with without agreement from landowners.

1/7/19 – Option for a Gravel path being investigated but drainage solution is the
key.
Discussions ongoing.
Solar lighting fitted some time ago
disappeared but new solar lighting triggered by trip switches has now been
installed.
Q. There has been a suggestion that LUCS and the Bistro are intending to ‘book’ the landing stage for their cruises. Can you comment please

A. LUCS has asked SC to be able to book the pontoon. LUCS has been advised by SC that they could put a sign out stating when they wish to drop passengers off and then move into the basin. There is a free visitors mooring in the basin. Both the jetty and visitors mooring are first come first served. SC will not entre an agreement for booking of the pontoon.

Disabled access to the Jetty will be investigated and reported back.

1/7/19 – No agreement for LUCS to book jetty, they can drop off and then moor up inside basin. If jetty is in use. LUCS can moor inside basin and they are aware of restrictions.
Disabled access will only be through the basin and use footpath.
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?

A. Signage report complete. Costings to be gathered. Report to be shared with LCA Nav and Safety Committee


26/10/18 – Will chase


19/2/19 – Paula is compiling a list of mooring signage


15/4/19 – Paula to provide an explanation of the signage reports being compiled as there seems to be two.


Additional Information – Scott @ SC is looking at the marking of visitor’s moorings. Some ideas have been discussed and Scott is going to produce 3 options which will then be put to the boaters for opinion via the LCA.

1/7/19 – No budget available for general
signage improvements but H&S & Visitor signs will be provided.
List of all moorings has been prepared,
signs will be provided when budget is
available
Q.Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of
Ratho Marina.
A. Looking at the possibility of using some wood currently at Auchinstarry.

19/2/19 – Ongoing


15/4/19 – Awaiting information from Tommy.

1/7/19 – Tommy to advise
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?

A. Twechar bridge completed. Bonnybridge to be completed Friday 19/4/19

1/7/19 – No outstanding works affecting boaters.
CLOSED
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it. CS – Suggest talking to Historic Scotland about removing the bridge and making a feature of it.

A. Structure corrosion and issues with the counter balance. Options being discussed include propping the bridge open and reducing the load on the bridge by changing the road base to aluminium.


26/10/18 – Historic environment Scotland meeting has been held. Awaiting a response. Further discussions and meetings ongoing. Once a conclusion has been agreed there will be a comms to let people know.

19/2/19 – Repairs are fully funded by Sustrans. Should be fully repaired by August.


15/4/19 – Work started
1/7/19 – Works should be complete and
operational by the end of summer, same
operating regime as before.
Q. Can you provide any timescales/updates on lock 6?

A. Lock gate has been removed and Stanley Ferry will be doing a conditional report in the next few weeks. We will look into what options are available going forward. 26/10/18 – Will be up and running by start of 2019 season. Stanley Ferry can’t make gates. Awaiting award of contract to someone else.

19/2/19 – Still on track – Possibility of running into the first two weeks of April.

15/4/19 – Slight delay due to issues with Cill. Due to be completed by May
1/7/19 – Works complete and operational.
CLOSED
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry?

A. SC is taking responsibility for this. The issue is larger than just the baffle. Will keep LCA informed.

1/7/19 – SC are now responsible for the ventilation system rather than the tenant. Options for a replacement baffle are being investigated.
Q. Has the canal depth been recently gauged to allow best targeting of dredging?

 A. Depth gauging will take place in Feb 2019.

19/2/19 – Tug with sounder will be going through once the bridges re-open and before flotilla.


15/4/19 – Still planned. Tug will have sonar and device trailing to pick up high points. Trailing device will be the width of a boat.
1/7/19 – Survey from Grangemouth to Hillhead provided info on hotspots. The vessel with 1.6m draft had difficulty with weed/debris but it identified hotspots and debris.
Debris removal up to Twechar, will be continued when staff available.
Hillhead to Bowling will be gauged when a new tug has been commissioned in about 8 weeks.
Union will be gauged when resources are
available.
Q. Would it be possible to have more consultation about winter shut downs so we might be able to avoid organised events been restricted? A. There will be winter works on Big man bridge at Maryhill. Bowling – Works on car park becoming a compound. Refurb of Customs house. Arches into a restaurant. End of March to End Aug.
Re-engineering of dredging’s to back fill beach to make new sea wall. Starts in 6 weeks for 3years + – outside boating area.
Sustrans funded project to connect current cycle way to old rail bridge over Bowling arches.
19/4/19 – Repairs to lock 31-32 which will not affect navigation.
Garscube bridge will be built in October.
Current Falkirk Wheel works to be completed by end March.
1/7/19 – Stockinfield(Big Man) Bridge, piling the banks will not impede navigation, only short term closures for lifting deck into position. Bowling – Custom house start next few weeks, finished end of year. Arches start soon finish next spring.
Backfilling beach is awaiting approval.
Sustrans project, slight disruption possible from September till July 2020
Lock 31-32 sluices complete.
Garscube Bridge, work to start 16 Sept but some restricted navigation may still be possible until works are complete. Bridge will probably be user operated by trained boaters.
Falkirk Wheel work now complete
Q. When is next working group meeting going to be held regarding self-lock operations? 15/4/19 – Meeting was held. information from that meeting will be part of the consultation and Paula is organising the next date to be held at Southbank Marina in an evening.
1/7/19 – No date yet, Paula to report back
Q. Maryhill to Cadder only has one pontoon at Bishopsbrigg. Is there any plans for evac points in that area?A. Will look at this section in relation to evacuation in an emergency.
1/7/19 – Tommy to advise
Q. it was previously raised that boater keeping a log of movement would be helpful to SC. Please can you say how this data would be useful.A. Data will be used for grants etc. We would like a collation of movements not individual. e.g. in 2019 x boat movements were between x and y.
1/7/19 – No real info on Union movements since no locks or bridges. Suggest using footpath counter or similar to count boat movements.
Q. is there some information that could be put on
the evac point signage to
be given to 999 as a
reference point?
A. Skippers guide will mark evac points when reprinted.
1/7/19 – No funds for reprinting guide,
website version will be updated for use by
boaters. Update on signs to come from
Tommy. Emergency services can locate from satellite info from mobile phones
Q. Discussion on areas
that trucksters can access to be discussed with
Tommy at next meeting.
1/7/19 – Tommy to advise.
Q. LCA submitted a
proposal for boaters to
help with weed control.
1/7/19 – Feedback required from Tommy for details of trial areas and possible payments to boaters
Q. What is the situation
with regard to boat access to and mooring in Port
Dundas?
1/7/19 – Access available through Speaker
Martin’s lock into the basin. Access into
Pinkston Basin may be problematic, unsure who owns the canal and bank. The area is also in the process of redevelopment for
housing.
Spiers Wharf is easily accessible.

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 19/02/19

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?

A. Dredging and expanding evacuation points from Bridge 12 towards Linlithgow. Dredging’s going on offside starting November through to approximately March

we will be carrying out dredging on the F&C this winter.

19/2/19 – In Progress

15/4/19 – Still in Progress

 
Q. What are the current plans for dredging? We previously were told there would be a map with dredging marked.

A. Will investigate as to a map; however, it may be more appropriate for a stoppages list including dredging instead of a map. Some funding has become available for dredging in front of the new sea lock, Linlithgow and Edinburgh Quay. April-May there will also be Spot dredging on the F+C

15/4/19 – List will be part of the consultation to be released in the near future.

Dredging in Linlithgow and Edinburgh Quay complete

F+C and Sealock still planned.

 
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?

A. Jetty in progress due to complete by start of May 

 
Q.There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?

Boaters at Causewayend advise that this work would be done when funds become available. With the pier being reinstated there are concerns about lack of disabled access on and to the landing stage. There is also concerns over the lighting.

A. Gravel put down with Wacker plate does not last really needs tarmac.

Bistro owns the path. There are on going discussions but nothing can happen with without agreement from landowners.

 
Q. There has been a suggestion that LUCS and the Bistro are intending to ‘book’ the landing stage for their cruises. Can you comment please

A. LUCS has asked SC to be able to book the pontoon. LUCS has been advised by SC that they could put a sign out stating when they wish to drop passengers off and then move into the basin. There is a free visitors mooring in the basin. Both the jetty and visitors mooring are first come first served. SC will not entre an agreement for booking of the pontoon.

Disabled access to the Jetty will be investigated and reported back.
 
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?

A. Signage report complete. Costings to be gathered. Report to be shared with LCA Nav and Safety Committee26/10/18 – Will chase19/2/19 – Paula is compiling a list of mooring signage15/4/19 – Paula to provide an explanation of the signage reports being compiled as there seems to be two.


Additional Information – Scott @ SC is looking at the marking of visitor’s moorings. Some ideas have been discussed and Scott is going to produce 3 options which will then be put to the boaters for opinion via the LCA.

 
Q. cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?

NEW OPEN COMMENT – Discussion on areas that trucksters can access to be had with Tommy at next meeting.
A. We will provide an update on if this is technically feasible

6/9/18 – still in discussion


26/10/18 – Discussions are happening with the TA to get advise of design. Still on going. Will update in due course.


19/2/19 – No plans for a ramp; however, the weed cutting plan is being adapted to have the full fleet working all season. 3 x Berkys and 3 x Trucksters.

Capital bid in for 4th Berky

CLOSED
Q.Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.A. Looking at the possibility of using some wood currently at Auchinstarry.

19/2/19 – Ongoing


15/4/19 – Awaiting information from Tommy.
 
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?

A. Twechar bridge completed. Bonnybridge to be completed Friday 19/4/19

 
Q. It was previously raised that boaters keeping a log of movements would be helpful to SC. Please can you say how this information will be useful.

 A. Data will be used for grants etc. SC would like a collation of movements not individuals. e.g. in 2019 x amount of boats moved between x and y.

 
Q. On the Auchinstarry linar line the boats have been shunted to make space for a widebeam. Instead of shunting everything toward the east end they have shunted INDI further into the diesel berth restricting the length. This is not appropriate and needs to be addresses? A. Customers have been sent a letter asking them to move slightly.

LCA has been made aware that letters were not sent and we do not think that boats should be moved as the issue was created by fitting the widebeam in to a space too small.

19/2/19 – Will look at why the new widebeam was places in that position

Discussion held in relation to making sure this does not happen again. SC will monitor.

CLOSED
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it. CS – Suggest talking to Historic Scotland about removing the bridge and making a feature of it.

A. Structure corrosion and issues with the counter balance. Options being discussed include propping the bridge open and reducing the load on the bridge by changing the road base to aluminium. 26/10/18 – Historic environment Scotland meeting has been held. Awaiting a response. Further discussions and meetings ongoing. Once a conclusion has been agreed there will be a comms to let people know.

19/2/19 – Repairs are fully funded by Sustrans. Should be fully repaired by August.


15/4/19 – Work started
 
Q. Is there some information that could be put on evac point signage to be given to 999 as a referance point?A. Skippers guide will mark evac points when re-printed.
Q. Can you provide any timescales/updates on lock 6?

A. Lock gate has been removed and Stanley Ferry will be doing a conditional report in the next few weeks. We will look into what options are available going forward. 26/10/18 – Will be up and running by start of 2019 season. Stanley Ferry can’t make gates. Awaiting award of contract to someone else.

19/2/19 – Still on track – Possibility of running into the first two weeks of April.

15/4/19 – Slight delay due to issues with Cill. Due to be completed by May
 
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry?

A. SC is taking responsibility for this. The issue is larger than just the baffle. Will keep LCA informed.

 
Q. Has the canal depth been recently gauged to allow best targeting of dredging?

 A. Depth gauging will take place in Feb 2019.

19/2/19 – Tug with sounder will be going through once the bridges re-open and before flotilla.


15/4/19 – Still planned. Tug will have sonar and device trailing to pick up high points. Trailing device will be the width of a boat.
 
Q. Would it be possible to have more consultation about winter shut downs so we might be able to avoid organised events been restricted? A. THIS IS TO STAY OPEN ON THE TRACKER TO MAKE SURE ANY WORKS ARE DISCUSSED IN ADVANCE

There will be winter works on Big man bridge at Maryhill.

Bowling – Works on car park becoming a compound. Referb of Customs house. Arches into a restaurant. End of March to End Aug.

Re-engineering of dredging’s to back fill beach to make new sea wall. Starts in 6 weeks for3 years + – outside boating area.

Current Falkirk Wheel works to be completed by end March.

Sustrans funded project to connect current cycle way to old rail bridge over Bowling arches.

15/4/19 – Repairs to locks 31-32 which will not affect navigation. Garsqube bridge will be built in October.
Q. When is next working group meeting going to be held regarding self-lock operations?

 A. 3 x internal meetings have been had. Will find out when the next external meeting will be.

19/2/19 – 5th March 2pm


15/4/19 – Meeting was held. information from that meeting will be part of the consultation and Paula is organising the next date to be held at Southbank Marina in an evening.
 
Q. Maryhill to Cadder only has one pontoon at Bishopsbrigg. Is there any plans for evac points in that area?A. Will look at this section in relation to evacuation in an emergency. 

LCA committee meeting updates in preparation for Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 19/02/19

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. Dredging and expanding evacuation points from Bridge 12 towards Linlithgow. Dredging’s going on offside starting November through to approximately March. We will be carrying out dredging on the F&C this winterUpdate Please
Q. What are the current plans for dredging? We previously were told there would be a map with dredging marked.A. See aboveUpdate Please.
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?A. Pilling could not take place as the digger could not fit under the bridge. OngoingUpdate Please.
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. Signage report complete. Costings to be gathered. Report to be shared with LCA Nav and Safety Committee. 26/10/18 – Will ChaseUpdate Please
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?We will provide an update on if this is technically feasible6/9/18 – still in discussion

 

 

 

26/10/18 – Discussions are happening with the TA to get advise of design. Still ongoing. Will update in due course.

update Please.
Q.Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.A. Looking at the possibility of using some wood currently at Auchinstarry.Update Please
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?A. McKenzies have been awarded the contract to oversee the work and will be starting mid-October on BonnyBridge. Amongst other things there will be 4 new rams alongside the original 4 being repaired.26/10/18 – In progress to be completed by March. Engineers are currently working with the contractors. Will update when the projects start on site Update Please
Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?  A. Work boat bringing materials to site is on the other side of the stop planks at Linlithgow. We will look into what other options there are on delivering the materials to the site. Will keep the locals in this area updatedUpdate Please
Q. On the Auchinstarry linar line the boats have been shunted to make space for a widebeam. Instead of shunting everything toward the east end they have shunted INDI further into the diesel berth restricting the length. This is not appropriate and needs to be addresses? A. Customers have been sent a letter asking them to move slightly. Update Please
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it. CS – Suggest talking to Historic Scotland about removing the bridge and making a feature of it.A. Structure corrosion and issues with the counter balance. Options being discussed include propping the bridge open and reducing the load on the bridge by changing the road base to aluminium. 26/10/18 – Historic environment Scotland meeting has been held. Awaiting a response. Further discussions and meetings ongoing. Once a conclusion has been agreed there will be a comms to let people know.Update Please
Q. Can you confirm insurance is paying for the repair of lock 6?A. S.C legal team will look into this. S.C H&S are currently investigating
the incident. 26/10/18 – Awaiting release of information
Update Please
Can you provide any timescales/updates on lock 6?A. Lock gate has been removed and Stanley Ferry will be doing a conditional report in the next few weeks. We will look into what options are available going forward. 26/10/18 – Will be up and running by start of 2019 season. Stanley Ferry can’t make gates. Awaiting award of contract to someone else.Update Please
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry?A. Baffle will be replaced in due course. There is currently no one using the boathouse and no noise being produced.Update Please
Q. Has the canal depth been recently gauged to allow best targeting of dredging? A. Depth gauging will take place in Feb 2019. Has this started?
Q. Do sea lock time limits recognise tidal restraints? A. Staff will not deliberately leave someone stranded. They will open the sealock outside time limits if needed.. Closed
Q. Would it be possible to have more consultation about winter shut downs so we might be able to avoid organised events been restricted? A. THIS IS TO STAY OPEN ON THE TRACKER TO MAKE SURE ANY WORKS ARE DISCUSSED IN ADVANCE  
Q. When is next working group meeting going to be held regarding self-lock operations? A. 3 x internal meetings have been had. Will find out when the next external meeting will be.Update Please. Is there a date set?
Q. Heard some lock gates have been ordered for west of the F&C  Is this the case and if so which ones? When do you expect them? Are they for immediate replacement or have they been commissioned as spares?

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 26/10/18 with LCA committee meeting updates

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. Dredging and expanding evacuation points from Bridge 12 towards Linlithgow. Dredging’s going on offside starting November through to approximately March Richard Millar has said there will be spot dredging on the F+C this winter. Please confirm. SC update – Yes we will be carrying out dredging on the F&C this winter
Q. What are the current plans for dredging?A. See aboveAs mentioned above on the two canals.
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?A. Pilling could not take place as the digger could not fit under the bridge. We are looking at different options on how to access the site and carry out the works. Will give you an updated in due course.Update Please
Q. Are there any plans for more life rings or throwlines?Lock 16, Long line at Kelpies + East and West F&C pontoons at the wheel have a shortageA. Liferings have been placed 1 x Kelpies and 1 x Lock 16 complete. Closed
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. Signage report complete. Costings to be gathered. Report to be shared with LCA Nav and Safety Committee.

 

 

 

26/10/18 – Will Chase

Update Please
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?We will provide an update on if this is technically feasible.6/9/18 – still in discussion

 

 

 

26/10/18 – Discussions are happening with the TA to get advise of design.

Still on going. Will update in due course.
Q.Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.A. Looking at the possibility of using some wood currently at Auchinstarry.Update Please
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?A. McKenzies have been awarded the contract to oversee the work and will be starting mid-October on BonnyBridge. Amongst other things there will be 4 new rams alongside the original 4 being repaired.26/10/18 – In progress to be completed by MarchEngineers are currently working with the contractors.
Will update when the projects start on site.
Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?  A. to be done Nov/DecWork boat bringing materials to site is on the other side of the stop planks at Linlithgow. We will look into what other options there are on delivering the materials to the site. Will keep the locals in this area updated.
Q. What latest with the weed cutters and trucksters as the weed cutter in Auchnistarry is on the slipway broken and I have heard that a trickster was sunk or damaged? A. Weed Cutter not working.Closed
Q. On the Auchinstarry linar line the boats have been shunted to make space for a widebeam. Instead of shunting everything toward the east end they have shunted INDI further into the diesel berth restricting the length. This is not appropriate and needs to be addresses? A. Customers have been sent a letter asking them to move slightly. Update Please
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it. CS – Suggest talking to Historic Scotland about removing the bridge and making a feature of it.A. Structure corrosion and issues with the counter balance. Options being discussed include propping the bridge open and reducing the load on the bridge by changing the road base to aluminium. 26/10/18 – Historic environment Scotland meeting has been held. Awaiting a response.Further discussions and meetings ongoing. Once a conclusion has been agreed there will be a comms to let people know.
Q. Boats on the union only have 2 options from diesel either Leamington or bottom of the Wheel. With the above comment in mind and the restricted opening hours of lamington lift bridge the restrictions are causing problems can you think of any way we can reduce the impact e.g. open lamington more or could there be a mid point on the Union where a diesel point could be added?A. Winchbourgh marina will have diesel and pump out.Closed
Q. There is a leaking bollard down the end of the liner line in Auchinstarry can this be fixed?A. Fixed.Closed
Q. Can you confirm insurance is paying for the repair of lock 6?A. S.C legal team will look into this. S.C H&S are currently investigating
the incident. 26/10/18 – Awaiting release of information
Update Please
Q. Can you provide any timescales/updates on lock 6?A. Lock gate has been removed and Stanley Ferry will be doing a conditional report in the next few weeks. We will look into what options are available going forward. 26/10/18 – Will be up and running by start of 2019 season. Stanley Ferry can’t make gates. Awaiting award of contract to someone else.Update Please
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry?A. Baffle will be replaced in due course. There is currently no one using the boathouse and no noise being produced.Update Please
Q. Causewayend: SC are again looking at possibility of moorings on basin wall. Proposal for 2 spaces on outer and 1 on inner NW wall. Improvement to path and permission for rings being reconsidered.Also, SC have now accepted impracticality of leisure moorings at basin due to lack of parking. One boat ‘Blackthorn’ has left for Southern Waters and space will not be re-allocated. Now available as Visitor mooring. A. Blackthorns mooring has been allocated as a winter mooring to a boat that was due to winter at the kelpies but can not due to lock 6.Will get confirmation on the other points and confirmation that after the winter mooring the blackthorn space will be deemed a visitors berth

 

 

 

26/10/18 – Confirmed. Bridge 50 towpath side has also had additional mooring rings.

Closed
Q. Has the canal depth been recently gauged to allow best targeting of dredging? A. Depth gauging will take place in Feb 2019. Update Please
Q. Do sea lock time limits recognise tidal restraints? A. Staff will not deliberately leave someone stranded. They will open the sealock outside time limits if needed.. Closed
Q. Would it be possible to have more consultation about winter shut downs so we might be able to avoid organised events been restricted? A. THIS IS TO STAY OPEN ON THE TRACKER TO MAKE SURE ANY WORKS ARE DISCUSSED IN ADVANCE  
Q. When is next working group meeting going to be held regarding self-lock operations? A. 3 x internal meetings have been had. Will find out when the next external meeting will be.Update Please

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 06/09/18

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. Still in the plan for winter 2018. A graduate engineer has also been taken on and has been allocated the task of looking at dredging and evac points to cost up requirements with a view to get more funds.  
Q. What are the current plans for dredging?A. See above 
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?A. Pilling could not take place as the digger could not fit under the bridge. Ongoing 
Q. Are there any plans for more life rings or throwlines?

 

 

 


Lock 16, Long line at Kelpies + East and West F&C pontoons at the wheel have a shortage

A. Liferings have been placed 1 x Kelpies and 1 x Lock 16 will be complete at the end of the week.  
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. Signage report complete. Costings to be gathered. Report to be shared with LCA Nav and Safety Committee 
Q. Budget was allocated to twechar and bonnybridge repairs that are now been funded by the government. Please can you advise where this 2018/2019 budget allocation will now be spent?A. The budget that was allocated is now being used to enhance further improvements to the bridge along with the funding from the government. 
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?We will provide an update on if this is technically feasible

 

 

 

6/9/18 – still in discussion

 
Q.Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.A. Cost will be emailed. 
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?A. McKenzies have been awarded the contract to oversee the work and will be starting mid-October on BonnyBridge. Amongst other things there will be 4 new rams alongside the original 4 being repaired. 
Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?  A. Will catch up with this over the Autumn 
Q. There seems to be a sudden increase in Himalayan Bolsum on the canal verges. As this is an aggressive and invasive species is there any plans to tackle this? A. Contractors are already working on controlling this – 6/9/18 Lowland canals are now complete. 
Q. Please can you confirm the rules over filling jerry cans?A. Customers may take a maximum of 20 litres in Jerry cans. Same rules that apply to fore court stations. We will only fill Proper fuel containers that are approved.   
Q. It would appear that some boaters have been told that boats from the Union canal can not go down and up the wheel on the same day and they can not moor in the basin overnight? Can you confirm or deny this?A. Boats CAN go up and down on the same day. As long as they arrange the boat movement and plan it through the Bmk at the wheel. As long as it doesn’t interfere with the timed slots of the trip boats.  
Q. What latest with the weed cutters and trucksters as the weed cutter in Auchnistarry is on the slipway broken and I have heard that a trickster was sunk or damaged?A. Hiab next week to put conveyer belt back on and have the cutter back working in the next few weeks. 
Q. On the Auchinstarry linar line the boats have been shunted to make space for a widebeam. Instead of shunting everything toward the east end they have shunted INDI further into the diesel berth restricting the length. This is not appropriate and needs to be addresses?A. This has been discussed with moorings who is looking at re-allocating the spaces correctly. Will chase for update.  
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it
CS – Suggest talking to Historic Scotland about removing the bridge and making a feature of it.
A. Structure corrosion and issues with the counter balance. Options being discussed include propping the bridge open and reducing the load on the bridge by changing the road base to aluminium 
Q. Boats on the union only have 2 options from diesel either Leamington or bottom of the Wheel. With the above comment in mind and the restricted opening hours of lamington lift bridge the restrictions are causing problems can you think of any way we can reduce the impact e.g. open lamington more or could there be a mid point on the Union where a diesel point could be added?A. Winchbourgh marina plans have had diesel and pump out put in as a request.Update Please
Q. Any news on the missing hotel baffle on the Boathouse in Auchinstarry?A. We are trying to find out what the contractor has done with it when they removed it and get it replaced. 
Q. There is a leaking bollard down the end of the liner line in Auchinstarry can this be fixed?A. Servest looking into this this week as two attempts to repair the bollard has failed.  
Q. Can you confirm insurance is paying for the repair of lock 6? A. S.C legal team will look into this.
S.C H&S are currently investigating the incident.
 
Q. Can you provide any timescales/updates on lock 6?A. Lock gate has been removed and Stanley Ferry will be doing a conditional report in the next few weeks. We will look into what options are available going forward. 
Q. We appreciate that the incident with lock 6 happened on a Sunday however I would like to know why a boater booked to transit were not immediately informed to re-arrange their plansA. Contact was not made earlier as the priority was dealing with the seriously injured crew member which took till 9.30pm. SC apologies for any inconvenience.  
Q. There has been some questions raised over the price of diesel in regards to the propulsion/heating split. Please can you confirm the current SC policy?A. It is up to the boater to declare the diesel split. SC has pre-pared prices for 0, 60/40 and 100%. 
Q. Causewayend: SC are again looking at possibility of moorings on basin wall. Proposal for 2 spaces on outer and 1 on inner NW wall. Improvement to path and permission for rings being reconsidered.

 

 

 

Also, SC have now accepted impracticality of leisure moorings at basin due to lack of parking. One boat ‘Blackthorn’ has left for Southern Waters and space will not be re-allocated. Now available as Visitor mooring.

 A. Blackthorns mooring has been allocated as a winter mooring to a boat that was due to winter at the kelpies but can not due to lock 6.

 

 

 

Will get confirmation on the other points and confirmation that after the winter mooring the blackthorn space will be deemed a visitors berth

 

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 21/06/18

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. Budget has meant that this did not happen and there are no plans for before March. Will have more information over the next 6 weeks and will provide an update on this and dredging plans

 

 

 

21/6/18 – This has been pushed back to winter 2018.

Is this still in the plan for 2018?
Q. What are the current plans for dredging?A. See above 
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?A. Pier still in discussion. Mooring rings have been put in the towpath westside of the marina.Has there been any further discussions?
Q. Are there any plans for more life rings or throwlines?

 

 

 


Lock 16, Long line at Kelpies + East and West F&C pontoons at the wheel have a shortage

A. Liferings are in stock, poles and holders are on order and permits have been applied for. 

 

 

 

To be completed by end July.

 Is this now complete?
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. 15% of the signage report is completed to date and will provide an update on progress at next meeting (6/4/18)

 

 

 

21/6/18 – Length inspectors were reassigned. Will push for completion

 Update Please
Q. Causeway End outside basin moorings could use so light improvements e.g. mooring rings, path and vegetation cut back. Would this be possible?A. Mooring rings can not go in the marina side wall due to many trip hazards Closed
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?A. We will provide an update on if this is technically feasible  Update Please
Q.Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.A. Will get a cost in the next few weeks

 

 

 

21/6/18 – Ongoing

 Update Please
Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge?A. Money allocated in 2019 budget £1.6 million has been promised by Scottish Government as of 28/6/18 Update Please
Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?  A. Will look into this Update Please
Q. There seems to be a sudden increase in Himalayan Bolsum on the canal verges. As this is an aggressive and invasive species is there any plans to tackle this? A. Contractors are already working on controlling this Update Please
Q. Auchinstarry Marina is particularly bad for weed making it difficult to manoeuvre. What is the plan for this? A. Trucksters working from today 21/6/18 one with cutting blade and one with basket.CLOSED
Q. Weed is an issue across the whole system. What plans are in place? A. Weed cutter working on Glasgow branch at the minute and one union. CLOSED
Q. What latest with the weed cutters and trucksters as the weed cutter in Auchnistarry is on the slipway broken and I have heard that a trickster was sunk or damaged?A. Will be back in working order start of JulyI believe the weed cutter is still out of action please provide an update
Q. On the Auchinstarry linar line the boats have been shunted to make space for a widebeam. Instead of shunting everything toward the east end they have shunted INDI further into the diesel berth restricting the length. This is not appropriate and needs to be addresses?A. Will look in to this Update Please
Q. What is wrong with Leamington lift bridge and what are the current plans to fix it A.  
Q. Boats on the union only have 2 options from diesel either Leamington or bottom of the Wheel. With the above comment in mind and the restricted opening hours of lamington lift bridge the restrictions are causing problems can you think of any way we can reduce the impact e.g. open lamington more or could there be a mid point on the Union where a diesel point could be added?A. Will look in to this Update Please
Q. Clearing of the bank seems to be the responsibility of the Scottish canals staff but there is a contractor that is only cutting a narrow strip on the bank so we have high growth between the towpath and canalbank restricting visibility of the edge. What is the point in the contractor doing this?A. Will ask the union staff to look out for this and reportCLOSED
Q. There is a leaking bollard down the end of the liner line in Auchinstarry can this be fixed?A. Will be looked at 22/6/18Update Please

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 31/01/18

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions – 5/3/18
Q. Please confirm date of implementation of escape ladder at Auchinstarry and confirm position.

 

 

 

More escape ladders – Ongoing please keep us updated.

A. A new ladder has now been fitted

 

 

 

A. Plan is to install a minimum of 4 per year, based on the visitor’s risk assessments, until requirements have been met.

 CLOSED
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. Budget has meant that this did not happen and there are no plans for before March. Will have more information over the next 6 weeks and will provide an update on this and dredging plans Update Please
Q. What are the current plans for dredging?A. See above Update Please
Q. What are the latest plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?A. looking at the possibility of installing sheet piling – will advise if this is feasible by the end of Feb. Update Please
Q. Are there any plans for more life rings or throwlines?

 

 

 


Lock 16, Long line at Kelpies + East and West F&C pontoons at the wheel have a shortage

A. Liferings are in stock, poles and holders are on order and permits have been applied for. 

 

 

 

To be completed by end March.

 Update Please
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. 15% of the signage report is completed to date and will provide an update on progress at next meeting (6/4/18)  Update Please
Q. Causeway End outside basin moorings could use so light improvements e.g. mooring rings, path and vegetation cut back. Would this be possible?A. Will speak again with the M&E team. However, this is not a priority. We have looked at improving the lighting but this would entail approximately £10k We have been advised moorings are going ahead and permission for rings have been granted. Can you advise on time scales?
Q. Camera on the Swing bridge at the Falkirk Wheel seems to be out of operation.A. Upgrades are now complete CLOSED
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?A. We will provide an update on if this is technically feasible at next meeting Update Please
Q. Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.  A. Will get a cost in the next few weeks Update Please
Q. Winding holes on the Union canal could do with clearing on the towpath side. Can this be put in to the schedule.  A. Some already completed and will now be in the schedule. CLOSED
Q. Causeway end – can we install an emergency water supply before a stop-cock supplying water to the vulnerable pipes under the pontoon. Currently, any burst pipe necessitates shutting entire water supply to the basin. Such a tap would provide water until the work was done to restore pontoon supply. A. Trace heating fuse was broken and wire had dropped. Isolator switch was also broken. This has now all been fixed.We still think this is a good idea but understand this is not a priority.

 

 

 

CLOSED

Q. What is the current situation with Twechar and Bonnybridge? A. Both bridges currently not in use. There will be an opening booked to allow re-positioning of boats. Twechar bridge will be first priority. Nav licence to be reduced for boats located between the bridges. If you wish to go to an alternative mooring temporarily please contact Paula Carson.  Update Please
Q. There has been discussions to put gravel down and Wacker plate the path between the bistro and moorings at Causeway end. Is there any update?   

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 27/11/17

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions – 21/01/18
Q. Please confirm date of implementation of escape ladder at Auchinstarry and confirm position.

 

 

 

More escape ladders – Ongoing please keep us updated.

A. We have appointed a new contractor to manufacture the ladder. Installation date 11.12.17. 

 

 

 

Awaiting more budget – each ladder costs approximately £250

Awaiting confirmation of completion

 

 

 

Please keep us informed

Q. We previously raised concerns about the uneven paving slabs in Ratho Marina. We were advised SC will fix this in November. Can you confirm this is complete?A. The staff completed the areas outside the toilet block and will keep an eye out for any movement.CLOSED
Q. Some metal strips on pontoons are dangerously raised. Can you confirm this is complete?A. This has been completed on the linear line whilst the staff were powerwashing the pontoons. They also applied some non slip strips from Indy down to the end of Swallow. They were strips left from another job.  CLOSED
Q. The toilets at the Falkirk wheel seem to have reoccurring issues ranging from general maintenance and hygiene to flooding. Is there any update on this?A. These were upgraded last year. They are cleaned twice daily by the cleaner based at the Falkirk Wheel. Any maintenance tasks are carried out as and when required.New showers, handles and seats have been installed last month (Oct 17)CLOSED
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. The Union canal evac points will be lengthened this winter (2017) along with the Forth & Clyde work. Update Please
Q. Are there plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?

 

 

 

We were advised that Scottish Canals are intending to reinstate the pier using in house staff.

Please advise the intended date for the works?

A. Nothing to update at present. This works has not been budgeted for in this years budget.SC has advised that they will not have the funds to reinstate the pier after all. There was a proposal sent to RT of a cost effective way the LVG could help to get something in place.

 

 

 

Please can you advise on your current thoughts?

Q. There is a lack of life rings or throwlines currently at lock 16 and east and west forth and clyde pontoons at the wheel. Please can we see about installing some?A. We will look into these Update please
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. We are currently carrying out a review of all our signage along the lowland canals with a view of prioritising which ones are to be updated and replaced.Can we have a copy of the report once complete?
Q. There have been comments that mooring pins should not be used in the banks but subsequent comments have suggested pins are okay. Please confirm the current position on thisA. it is fine to use mooring pins unless otherwise stated by signage CLOSED
Q. Causeway End outside basin moorings could use so light improvements e.g. mooring rings, path and vegetation cut back. Would this be possible? A. Vegetation has been cut back and put on the monthly maintenance list. Weed spraying will take place. The addition of mooring rings needs to be raised with Historic Scotland which we will do.

 

 

 

Billy King has had a discussion with Pat on site. A review of the site lighting is planned with our M&E team w/c 2nd week in Dec to see the issues and if anything can be achieved in the short term.

Update Please
Q. Grip strip on to diesel berth at Auchinstarry is the wrong way around. Has this been fixed? A. They have now all been completed. Turned around to the right way.CLOSED
Q. Camera on the Swing bridge at the Falkirk Wheel seems to be out of operation. A. All the cameras are being upgraded along the Lowlands network over this winter period. Update Please
Q. There are concerns over some of the actions taken/not taken by the volunteer lock keepers in respect of not removing all the anti-vandal gear which reduces the ability to respond quickly in an emergency. Thoughts please. A. This was brought up and discussed at a meeting with Reunion on Tue 21st Nov 17. They are going to make sure that any current staff and new staff are briefed going forward. CLOSED
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?A. Still ongoing at present. Update Please
Q. What are the current plans for dredging ?A. F&C will have high spots dredged this winter whilst creating the evac points and further dredging will take place on the F&C in the winter of 2018. 

 

 

 

Will provide a copy of the planned high spot dredging and weed removal for the Union this winter

The plan was never received. Can you provide a plan of what has been achieved to date and what is still planned this winter 2017/2018?
Q. Causeway end – can we install an emergency water supply before a stop-cock supplying water to the vulnerable pipes under the pontoon. Currently, any burst pipe necessitates shutting entire water supply to the basin. Such a tap would provide water until the work was done to restore pontoon supply.A. There is already enough stop cocks in the live line. It was agreed that we don’t require any further stop cocks.CLOSED but Billy King to speak with Robin Fryer to confirm
Q. You advised a rubbing straight at Ratho was not possible as there was no budget. Please can you give us a cost so we can explore possible options.A. This is with the Maintenance team and engineers to cost up.Update Please
Q. Please can the tractor tyres be removed from by the 750m sign just west of Seagul trust Ratho. There is one in the centre of the canal (boats are hitting this) and one on the banking that could be pushed in. A. This has been removedCLOSED 

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair 4/10/17

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions – 24/10/17
Q. Please confirm date of implementation of escape ladder at Auchinstarry and confirm position.

 

 

 

Please can you provide an update on the Kelpie ladder and position

More escape ladders – Ongoing please keep us updated.

A. Auchinstarry will have a new ladder fitted on the liner line on the 6/10/17 this was slightly delayed from the original 21/8/17 due to manufacture.

 

 

 

Kelpies has had a ladder fitted on the commercial line (left hand pontoon as you exit lock 3)

Awaiting more budget – each ladder costs approximately £250

Awaiting confirmation of completion

 

 

 

Closed

Please keep us informed

Q. We previously raised concerns about the uneven paving slabs in Ratho Marina. We were advised SC needed to assess who was responsible for correcting these and when. Is this still on schedule for November?A. SC will be fixing these slabs. The maintenance manager for the Lowland canals has this scheduled on the plan for November.We believe this has started – Please can you confirm current status

 

 

 

Awaiting confirmation of completion

Q. Causeway end have some concerns over their water pipes in relation to Mink damage. A suggestion of introducing a new tap and stop cock at the end of the pontoon for emergencies has been proposed. Can anything be done? The boater in question has not been contacted please advise.A. SC maintenance has been in contact with a different boater on site and has advised there are currently 2 stop cocks, one on the land by the bridge and one on the pontoons at the start of the bollards. We see no need for additional stop cocks but have provided the boater with a mink trap and we will reinsulate the pipe work next month. CLOSED
Q. Some metal strips on pontoons are dangerously raised. Please can we get this looked at and a plan to rectify?A. Auchinstarry Linear line will be repaired as best possible by the onsite SC team starting week commencing 9th October 2017. Length inspectors have been asked to make sure these types of issues are included in their report.Awaiting confirmation of completion
Q. The toilets at the Falkirk wheel seem to have reoccurring issues ranging from general maintenance and hygiene to flooding. Is there any update on this?A. In the short term the maintenance manager at the wheel has been asked to tidy these up and we are working on plans and budgeting to refurbish these in the near future. Update Please
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit? Have you had any further thoughts on this?A. There will be a review of the appropriate length of evac points before commencement of work on the F&C. The Union canal evac point will be looked at again winter 2018. Please keep us informed
Q. Are there plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?Is there away the LCA could assist with raising part of the funds needed.

 

 

 

Is there any news on costings for this project?

A. Permission has been granted from Historic Scotland to reinstate the pier. Currently budget constraints mean we cannot plan the work.

 

 

 

We will re-ask for costings and get back to you.

 Update Please
Q. Are there any plans for more life rings or throwlines?A. Can you advise where you feel there are a lack of liferings/throwlines and we can look at this Ongoing
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?A. We will investigate  Update Please
Q. There have been comments that mooring pins should not be used in the banks but subsequent comments have suggested pins are okay. Please confirm the current position on thisA. We will confirm soon Update Please
Q. There seems to be some inaccuracies in the Skippers guide. We have prepared some comments. Please can this be looked at and advise a date when the guide may be updatedA. We will take on board your comments for the next addition being prepared this winter. Closed – will re-open if changes do not seem to be taken onboard
Q. Causeway End outside basin moorings could use so light improvements e.g. mooring rings, path and vegetation cut back. Would this be possible? A. Vegetation has been cut back and put on the monthly maintenance list. Weed spraying will take place. The addition of mooring rings needs to be raised with Historic Scotland which we will do. Update Please
Q. Dredging operations signage is not large enough for skippers to read. Comments please A. We will make a more suitable, readable sign. CLOSED
Q. Evac point on the East of Bridge 52A perceived as navigational hazard. Please discuss A. Evac point sign has now been moved to the west of the bridge. CLOSED
Q. Grip strip on to diesel berth at Auchinstarry is the wrong way around. Will this be fixed? A. We will get this changedAwaiting confirmation of completion
Q. Camera on the Swing bridge at the Falkirk Wheel seems to be out of operation. A. We will investigate and speak to the Falkirk wheel manager Update Please
Q. There are concerns over some of the actions taken/not taken by the volunteer lock keepers in respect of not removing all the anti-vandal gear which reduces the ability to respond quickly in an emergency. Thoughts please. A. We will speak to the reunion team leader about this Awaiting confirmation of completion and results of conversation
Q. Weed cutting seems hampered by lack of access points for the trucksters. Would it not be possible to create a portable ramp?A. We will look in to this Update Please
Q. What are the current plans for dredging ?A. F&C will have high spots dredged this winter whilst creating the evac points and further dredging will take place on the F&C in the winter of 2018. Ongoing
Q. Can a rubbing straight be fitted to the back wall of Ratho Marina.A. Won’t be installing a rubbing straight as we don’t have funds. Boats have fenders to keep them off the wallsCould we have a cost so we can look in to this please

LCA Nav & Safety Meeting update 16/9/17 in preparation for follow up meeting with SC 4/10/17

QuestionAnswerLCA Nav and Safety comments and further questions
Q. There would appear to be some areas with a lack of escape ladders. Do you have plans for more?
 
A. Auchinstarry will have a new ladder fitted on the linear line on the 21st August. A ladder for the Kelpies is currently being manufactured and Causeway end received a new ladder. There are plans for more ladders when more budget becomes available.Please confirm date of implementation of escape ladder at Auchinstarry and confirm position.

 

 

 

Please can you provide an update on the Kelpie ladder and position.

Causeway end – CLOSED 

More escape ladders – Ongoing please keep us updated.

Q. The ladder at causeway end was put in place but there seemed to be issues securing it. Is there any update on this?A. The new pontoon ladder that was installed had an issue with the brackets/fixing to the pontoon on the day of install. The contractor came back the next day and fixed it, and it’s now secure.CLOSED
Q. We previously raised concerns about the uneven paving slabs in Ratho Marina. We were advised SC needed to assess who was responsible for correcting these and when. Is there any update?A. SC will be fixing these slabs and currently we hope to have achieved this by the end of November.Is this still on target for November?
Q. What is the official procedure for reporting accidents and near missed to SC?A. For non-emergency situations an email should be sent to our Head Of Health & Safety and his team at  safetyteam@scottishcanals.co.uk

 

 

 

For out of hours and in hours our Emergency Response number is 0800 072 9900.

For emergences that are life-threatening, injury threat, fire or criminality please call 999.

CLOSED
Q. Causeway end have some concerns over their water pipes in relation to Mink damage. A suggestion of introducing a new tap and stop cock at the end of the pontoon for emergencies has been proposed. Can anything be done?A. Someone will be in contact with the boater that raised this issue and arrange to visit site and see what options are available.No-one has contacted the boater in question please advise
Q. Some metal strips on pontoons are dangerously raised. Please can we get this looked at and a plan to rectify?A. We will look at this, starting with the Auchinstarry Linear line.Please can we have an update on this
Q. The toilets at the Falkirk wheel seem to have reoccurring issues ranging from general maintenance and hygiene to flooding. Would it be possible to look in to this?
.
A. This will be investigated.Please can we have an update on this
Q. We have received reports that some of the lock landing stages are in a dangerous condition. Is there plans to rectify this?A. All the lock landing stages were power washed in May and no issues were reported. Please can you let us know if there are any specific pontoons and we can take a further lookCLOSED – LCA Members have been reminded to report to reportanavissue@scottishcanals.co.uk
Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit?A. There is no plan to extend these as they are for emergency use only! If they were extended then they may be mistaken as mooring areas that some might moor up at! This Autumn/winter we will be creating the same Evac points on the Forth & Clyde Canal.Email was sent to TT (SC) 4/9/17 advising of boater’s concerns in relation to the current Evac points.
Please can you provide an update with this in mind.
Q. Are there plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?A. Permission has been granted from Historic Scotland to reinstate the pier. Currently budget constraints mean we cannot plan the work.Awaiting costings and any other information that may allow us to look at funding for this project. Please can we have an update.
Q. Is there away the LCA could assist with raising part of the funds needed.A. We can look at potential collaborations for this project. I will find out the costing involvedAS ABOVE
Q. Are there any plans for more life rings or throwlines?  
Q. What plans are there for signage at mooring sites?  
Q. There have been comments that mooring pins should not be used in the banks but subsequent comments have suggested pins are okay. Please confirm the current position on this  
Q. There seems to be some inaccuracies in the Skippers guide. We have prepared some comments. Please can this be looked at and advise a date when the guide may be updated  
Q. Causeway End outside basin moorings could use so light improvements e.g. mooring rings, path and vegetation cut back. Would this be possible?  
Q. Dredging operations signage is not large enough for skippers to read. Comments please  
Q. evac point on the East of Bridge 52A perceived as navigational hazard. Please discussSign post to be moved to west of Bridge 52aCan you confirm this is done?

Meetings between Scottish Canals and the LCA Nav and Safety committee Chair.

Questions and Answers 1/8/17

Q. There would appear to be some areas with a lack of escape ladders. Do you have plans for more?

A. Auchinstarry will have a new ladder fitted on the liner line on the 21st August. A ladder for the Kelpies is currently being manufactured and Causeway end received a new ladder. There are plans for more ladders when more budget becomes available.

Q. The ladder at causeway end was put in place but there seemed to be issues securing it. Is there any update on this?

A. The new pontoon ladder that was installed had an issue with the brackets/fixing to the pontoon on the day of install. The contractor came back the next day and fixed it, and it’s now secure.

Q. We previously raised concerns about the uneven paving slabs in Ratho Marina. We were advised SC needed to assess who was responsible for correcting these and when. Is there any update?

A. SC will be fixing these slabs and currently we hope to have achieved this by the end of November.

Q. What is the official procedure for reporting accidents and near missed to SC?

A. For non-emergency situations an email should be sent to our Head Of Health & Safety and his team at  safetyteam@scottishcanals.co.uk

For out of hours and in hours our Emergency Response number is 0800 072 9900.

For emergences that are life-threatening, injury threat, fire or criminality please call 999.

Q. Causeway end have some concerns over their water pipes in relation to Mink damage. A suggestion of introducing a new tap and stop cock at the end of the pontoon for emergencies has been proposed. Can anything be done?

A. Someone will be in contact with the boater that raised this issue and arrange to visit site and see what options are available.

Q. Some metal strips on pontoons are dangerously raised. Please can we get this looked at and a plan to rectify?

A. We will look at this, starting with the Auchinstarry Linear line.

Q. The toilets at the Falkirk wheel seem to have reoccurring issues ranging from general maintenance and hygiene to flooding. Would it be possible to look in to this?

A. This will be investigated.

Q. We have received reports that some of the lock landing stages are in a dangerous condition. Is there plans to rectify this?

A. All the lock landing stages were power washed in May and no issues were reported. Please can you let us know if there are any specific pontoons and we can take a further look.

Q. The Emergency Landing Evac points on the Union Canal were only dug out to 15m. Are there any plans to lengthen these as many boats cannot fit?

A. There is no plan to extend these as they are for emergency use only! If they were extended then they may be mistaken as mooring areas that some might moor up at! This Autumn/winter we will be creating the same Evac points on the Forth & Clyde Canal.

Q. Are there plans to reinstate the pier at Causewayend?

A. Permission has been granted from Historic Scotland to reinstate the pier. Currently budget constraints mean we cannot plan the work.

Q. Is there away the LCA could assist with raising part of the funds needed.

A. We can look at potential collaborations for this project. I will find out the costing involved.